WEATHER: Philadelphia: p.m. thunderstorms, high of 90; Harrisburg: isolated thunderstorms, high of 91; Pittsburgh: isolated thunderstorms, high of 90.
NEW THIS MORNING:
* The push to open the nation’s first supervised injection site in Philadelphia got its day in federal court Monday, pitting the region’s top law enforcement official against the president of a nonprofit founded to help stem one of the country’s deadliest opioid crises, the Inquirer writes.
* A Republican polling firm says its latest survey found compelling evidence that a key bloc of swing voters want stricter gun control – the pollsters, from the group Public Opinion Strategy, surveyed 500 suburban women in five districts, including Pennsylvania’s PA-1, WITF reports.
* Voters in a blood-red Susquehanna River Valley district will go to the polls today to fill the House seat vacated by former state representative Fred Keller, but what should be a straightforward special election to replace Republican Keller with another Republican handpicked by the party has become a little more complicated, thanks to a disgruntled member of the GOP, the Capital-Star writes.
* The City of Philadelphia is setting up a new office to rework and unify services for the formerly incarcerated as a newly released report found the city’s reentry efforts were “fragmented and siloed,” the Tribune reports.
* The Patriot-News profiles former PA pol Joe Sestak’s longshot bid for the Democratic presidential nomination.
* The National Governors Association announced that Pennsylvania will be one of six states that have been picked for a $2.3 million grant program intended to “strengthen [the] pathways between education and careers,” the Capital-Star reports.
* The Inquirer lauds Gov. Tom Wolf’s executive action on gun control last week as a good first step before calling on the General Assembly to step up and do its job to provide legislation with teeth.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY: … belated birthday wishes to PA Rep. Joanna McClinton, whose birthday was yesterday … Want to wish someone a happy birthday in our newsletter? Email us their name, job title and upcoming birthday to email@example.com
8:07 a.m. - Gov. Tom Wolf will be interviewed on KDKA-AM. To listen online, click here.
1 p.m. - the PA House Veterans Affairs & Emergency Preparedness Committee will meet. Room G-50, Irvis Office Building, Harrisburg.
To have your events included in Today’s Sked, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KICKER: “We are everywhere. It’s grass seeds. You have to grow it.” – Joe Sestak on his plan to win Iowa and then the Democratic presidential nomination. From the Patriot-News.