WEATHER: Philadelphia: partly cloudy, high of 98; Harrisburg: sunny, high of 99; Pittsburgh: partly cloudy, high of 94.
NEW THIS MORNING:
* After facing months of questions about his administration’s transparency during the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Tom Wolf will allow a bill that ensures access to public records during declared emergencies to become law without his signature. Despite the legislation’s unanimous approval in the General Assembly, Wolf had repeatedly threatened to veto the measure, Spotlight PA reports.
* As coronavirus cases continue to rise in Pennsylvania, the state health department has received approval to spend nearly $27 million to ramp up contact tracing efforts, warning of potentially dire consequences if it’s unable to do so quickly, Spotlight PA reports.
* Even though state unemployment offices have doubled their staff numbers, thousands of out-of-work Pennsylvanians are still waiting on their claims – and the state has no recent figures on claims in June and July, WHYY reports.
* The Inquirer assesses Democrat Joe Biden’s current double-digit lead over President Donald Trump in Pennsylvania 100 days out from the election.
* Jewish leaders expressed outrage Friday and Saturday over an anti-Semitic meme posted on the Facebook page of Rodney Muhammad, president of the Philadelphia NAACP. They called for Muhammad’s removal as head of the local civil rights group, the Inquirer reports.
* Black activists in Philadelphia are working to get out the vote for a general election unlike any other in their lifetimes, the Capital-Star reports.
* The Inquirer has an op-ed by Congressman Brendan Boyle, who lays out why America must value NATO now more than ever and do what it takes to ensure the organization’s survival.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY: … U.S. Rep. Glenn Thompson … Want to wish someone a happy birthday in our newsletter? Email us their name, job title and upcoming birthday to email@example.com
2 p.m. - the PA House Democratic Policy Committee will meet. Room G50, Irvis Office Building, Harrisburg.
To have your events included in Today’s Sked, please email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KICKER: “To be real honest with you, I didn’t even pay attention to the picture.” – Philadelphia NAACP head Rodney Muhammad offers up the weakest of weak-sauce non-denial denials after being caught and called out on posting a blatantly anti-Semitic trope on social media. From the Inquirer.